This version of the Skyline 50k Virtual race changes the course to account for water every 3-7 miles.
Scan the QR code for mobile maps.
Click on Map to see (and print!) bigger version. Blue is outbound. Red is returning. Print in landscape for better legibility.
Outbound: Start to Big Bear. The race leaves Lake Chabot Marina on East Shore Trail. Start at the lawn in
- Start on the lawn in front of Lake Chabot Marina. Proceed by the Cove Picnic Area across the footbridge. Stay hard left onto the East Shore Trail.
- Bear hard right at the end of the East Shore pavement, up Cameron Loop and then left onto Ten Hills Trail.
- Follow Ten Hills Trail to it’s conclusion at Redwood Road.
- Bear left and follow the trail parallel to Redwood Road.
- Proceed into the entrance to the Golf Course. Runners proceed along the right-hand fence at the entrance to the Golf Course on a footpath that leads to the entrance of Brandon Trail at the back of the parking lot.
- Proceed on Brandon up hill, crossing the road at Marciel Road entrance.
There will be water and a bathroom at the intersection with Marciel Road. Next water is 5 miles.
Continue on Brandon Trail.
- At the Stone Bridge, stay right on Brandon Trail. There will be a trail mark at this junction.
- Stay left at lower parking lot and proceed to Bort Meadow campaign area.
There is water at Bort Meadow. The fountain is taped off but the spigot at the bottom is on. Next water is 6 miles.
Leave Bort Meadow, by backtracking on the trail.
- Proceed on trail to the lower parking lot and bear hard left towards the service road.
- Proceed uphill on the service road and bear hard left through the upper parking lot. The trailhead is at the far end of the parking lot.
- Follow MacDonald Trail to its conclusion in MacDonald Staging Area, passing through the parking lot to the trailhead at the other end of the lot. This leads to Big Bear.
- At Big Bear, cross Redwood Road onto Golden Spike. Bear hard right at the intersection with Golden Spike at the top of a short hill. (Middle section of the race is shown on Map 2.)
Click on Map to see (and print!) bigger version. Print in landscape for better legibility.
This course takes runners through the middle of Redwood Regional to the water source in the Orchard area.
- Proceed on Golden Spike all the way to the stone fishway in Redwood Regional Park.
- Cross the fishway and bear left on the road towards the main part of Redwood Regional.
There is water in the sink on the bathrooms at Orchard campground. Next water 5 miles.
- Leave Orchard on the paved path.
- At Stream Trail bear right and proceed to Skyline Gate.
- At Skyline Gate, bear left onto West Ridge Trail. Note: This course does NOT turn onto the French Trail.
- Follow West Ridge Trail to Chabot Space Center. Cross the service road to the trailhead.
- Cross the road a second time.
- Proceed up a short hill and then down into Redwood Bowl.
There is water at the far end of Redwood Bowl. It will be down to your left. There are two additional water sources in Redwood Bowl. Next water 6 miles.
- Proceed on West Ridge Trail, bearing soft left at the fork that intersects with Baccharis Trail.
- Follow West Ridge, rolling down hill.
- Turn right on Toyon Trail. This is one of the few tricky turns on this course. Toyon is a single track trail. The trailhead is to the right before the steep descent. There will be a marker here.
- Turn left at the intersection with Golden Spike.
- Follow Golden Spike to the junction with spur that goes down hill to Redwood Road.
- Bear hard right to return across Redwood Road through Big Bear to MacDonald Aid.
Runners proceed over MacDonal Grade to Bort Meadow.
- Enter the upper Bort Meadow Parking Lot. Pass through the lot to the service road at the end of the lot. Bear right.
- Follow the service road down hill. Cross through the parking lot at the bottom of the hill and bear right on the trail to return to the water source in Bort Meadow.
There is water in Bort Meadow. Next water is 3 miles.
- Runners leave Bort Meadow by backtracking. Stay right to follow Brandon Trail towards Stone Bridge.
- Bear right at Stone Bridge up Jackson Grade to Clyde Wooldridge Aid Station.
There is water at Clyde Woolridge. Finish is 3 miles
- Leave Clyde Wooldridge on Golden Rod
- Proceed to West Shore Trail via Bass Cove Trail.
- Bear left on West Shore Trail.
- Proceed on the paved road to Lake Chabot Marina.